[rspec-users] Driving Out A View - Am I specifying too much?

Stephen Eley sfeley at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 12:25:10 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Lee<Lee.Longmore at googlemail.com> wrote:

> When specifying the view, should I include examples to specify which
> links should appear against an item for each potential role of a
> member? Or is this going too far?

It depends.  If you're doing full BDD on your view, using RSpec as a
design tool to plan the view before (or while) you create it, that
sounds totally appropriate.  Role-based hyperlinks sound like
important business features, not cosmetics or cruft, so they should be
declared and tested *somewhere* for sure.  If you do it this way, you
should make sure you're only testing the view's code, i.e. the
existence of the link, and not the logic that decides who can do what.
 (Which isn't the proper job for a view.)

That said, view specs at a unit level tend to be a bit of a drag, and
many people skip them in favor of testing views at an integration
level.  You could put the same tests into Cucumber, or even a Selenium
or Watir browser suite, and drive it without having to set up all
those mock models in the view spec.

It isn't a *bad* idea to spec the views too, though.  You don't lose
anything but time, and you may gain that back if the operation is a
sensitive one.  When I make decisions about whether to test
controllers or views in RSpec, I usually think about whether the code
is doing anything particularly complex or unusual, or if something in
it is exceptionally likely to break.  (And then, if either of those is
true, I think about whether I could simplify those vulnerabilities out
by reexamining my assumptions.)  >8->

--
Have Fun,
   Steve Eley (sfeley at gmail.com)