[rspec-users] [rspec, rails] A quick code review, to help a beginner

Andy Pearson andy.james.pearson at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 30 17:56:03 EDT 2009

Hey List,

This is probably a bit cheeky, but I thought it may be worth a try.

I have just started a new rails app, which I am going to try and drive
with Rspec and Cucumber as best as I can.

I have just finished a couple of tests, and a couple of lines of a
Model and I was wondering whether I could get a bit of feedback on
what I have written so far, before I go down to totally wrong route.

- How are my specs?
- Am I testing the right things?
- could things be done better?
- Am I being too broad, or too granular?

I have created a Gist at of the spec and the resulting code at:
http://gist.github.com/158954

Kind of off topic but, is there a "more Ruby" way of doing the
self.download method? It feels very PHP (my native language) - setting
an empty Array and then filling it up.

I realise this is very focused on just my code, so if this is too much
to ask, then please let me know and I will move along :)

Andy