[rspec-users] collection-based finder methods

amkirwan amkirwan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 10:12:46 EDT 2009

My spec is a messed up because I have tried everything I can think of
to mock but this is what I have for the show method. The @user
instance is setup in the login_and_before_filter_pass macros with the
following: @user = mock_model(Person, :null_object => true)

The error I keep receiving is that assigns[:letter].should equal
@letter keeps return that it is expecting a Person object instead of a
Letter object. The only way I can get it to pass is by putting
@user.letters.should_receive(:find).with("1").and_return(@letter)
directly in the "should assign the found letter for the view"

I feel like I must be missing something about how stubbing and mocking
work

  # Get /admin/letters/1
  def show
    id = params[:id]
    @letter =  @user.letters.find(id)
  end

describe Admin::LettersController, "SHOW GET /admin/letters/1" do

  before(:each) do
    @user.letters.should_receive(:find).with("1").and_return(@letter)
  end

  def do_get
    put :show, {:id => "1"}, @session
  end

  login_and_before_filter_pass(:filter => :admin_only,
                             :request_method => :get,
                             :action => :show,
                             :parameters => {:cas_user => 'ak730'})

  it "should be successful" do
    do_get
    response.should be_success
  end

  it "should find the letter requested" do
    @user.letters.should_receive(:find).with("1").and_return(@letter)
    puts(@letter)
    do_get
  end

  it "should assign the found letter for the view" do
    # uncommenting will allow to pass
    # @user.letters.should_receive(:find).with("1").and_return
(@letter)
    do_get