[rspec-users] My very fist spec file (not sure what's wrong..)

Ben Mabey ben at benmabey.com
Tue Jul 21 21:55:00 EDT 2009

internetchris wrote:
> I have one additional question after thinking about this for a while.
> Forgive me if I'm about to read this in the book, It came to mind so I
> thought I would ask. When writing specs for controllers am I always
> going to mock the model? Are controllers always isolated from the
> actual model? If that's the case then using cucumber with webrat is
> the only time I will test the complete stack right? Just wondering if
> I understand this correctly.

When I am using Cucumber and writing controller specs that is always how
*I* do it.  I like having the isolation for the controllers and keeping
them fast.  Any integration problems will be exposed by Cucumber so I
think having the controller specs test more that the controller is a
waste in most cases.  This is just my opinion however.  People on this
list will agree with me and disagree, so don't think that it is *the*
way of doing things.  This is what the book recommends IIRC so you are
understanding it.

-Ben