[rspec-users] ArgumentError during rake specs

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 08:54:44 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 1:48 AM, Marc Chung<mchung at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On a recently setup machine, a freshly checked out project started to
> fail in the strangest way. When executing 'rake spec', all the specs
> would fail because of the same ArgumentError:
>
> "wrong number of arguments (0 for 1)"
>
> This gist contains the backtrace of a single failing test:
> http://gist.github.com/148267
>
> http://gist.github.com/148267
>
> Line 180 of vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/test_case.rb:
> 180 is:
>
>   def setup_controller_request_and_response
>      @request = TestRequest.new
>      @response = TestResponse.new
>   end
>
> Which doesn't take an argument at all.
>
> Has anyone seen this behavior before?
> Does anyone have any ideas on how to further debug this problem?
> I'm running Ruby 1.8.7, Rails 2.3.0, and RSpec 1.2.6

First - Rails-2.3.0 was a release candidate, and there were some
changes before it went final. So I'd recommend upgrading that to 2.3.2
(or at least 2.3.1) to start.

Also, the backtrace shows that you've got rails vendored - are you
absolutely sure that you've got 2.3.0 and not some arbitrary commit
from whatever was edge at the moment?