[rspec-users] RSpec get model attribute values by name

James Byrne lists at ruby-forum.com
Sat Jan 31 09:18:09 EST 2009

Pat Maddox wrote:

> I realize you didn't ask for all of that but I'm feeling a bit chatty.
>
> Pat

The more information the better. I never really did understand exactly
what using eval() was supposed to accomplish, now I do.  Chat away...

I do want to point out that this is what the ActiveRecord::Base api has
to say about the [] method:

[](attr_name)

Returns the value of the attribute identified by attr_name after it has
been typecast (for example, "2004-12-12" in a data column is cast to a
date object, like Date.new(2004, 12, 12)). (Alias for the protected
read_attribute method).

Notice anything wrong about the api call description? Should not this
say:

[attr_name]

Returns the value of the attribute identified by attr_name...

The reason that I raised this question to begin with was because I could
not get "model_instance[](attr_name)" to work.  Which is what the api is
telling me to do the way that it is written.  I came up with the
alternative, write_attribute(attr_name), by looking at the code for [].