[rspec-users] OK... What is ... fu ?

James Byrne lists at ruby-forum.com
Fri Jan 30 09:49:46 EST 2009

Pardon my ignorance, but exactly what does _fu mean WRT Ruby plugins,
gems and such?

I have run across this suffix a number of times in Ruby and Rails,
always in connection with some add-on or extension.  In the original
context that I encountered '_fu' I inferred that it probably stood for
file upload.  However, its widespread use in other contexts evidently
disproves this interpretation. So, does it have a meaning?  Does it
derive from the foo in foobar? Does it stand for functional update? Or,
is it an obscure cultural reference to Ruby's Japanese origins?