[rspec-users] specs run faster separately than together

Jeremy Lightsmith jeremy.lightsmith at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 15:21:25 EST 2009

So this is weird.

on my current project I've been working on speeding up specs, and I just
found that

time rake spec => 4m 0s

time rake spec:controllers spec:models spec:helpers spec:lib => 2m 32s

(we don't have any view specs)  any idea why this might be true?  I compared
numbers of tests and got the same number both ways, just running everything
together seems to make it take almost twice as long...  Is anyone else
seeing this?

If it matters, we have 1183 tests spread more or less evenly across each of
controllers, models, helpers, and lib.