[rspec-users] testing capistrano tasks

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Wed Jan 28 05:39:56 EST 2009

On 27 Jan 2009, at 17:08, Brian Takita wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 4:15 AM, Matt Wynne <matt at mattwynne.net>
> wrote:
>> Not done it, but Cucumber acceptance tests would surely be a good
>> fit here:
>>
>>       Given there is a database "foo"
>>       When I run the script
>>       Then there should be a backup no more than 10 minutes old
>>       And the backup should restore OK
>>       And the restored database should contain the same records as
>> the
>> original database
>>
>> On 27 Jan 2009, at 03:31, Scott Taylor wrote:
>>

>>> Does anyone have any insight into testing capistrano tasks?  More
>>> specifically, I'm looking to add regression tests to this package,
>>> which
>>> adds database backup tasks to capistrano:
> Yes, I have experience testing capistrano. My experience with unit
> testing Capistrano has been less than positive. Capistrano is
> difficult to test. Basically you have to mock out the shell/run/file
> transfer commands to do unit tests. The big problem is how do you know
> the shell commands are correct?
> There is some benefit though. You do get to see a list of the shell
> commands that are run in one place. However, there can be many
> permutations of logic inside of a deploy, so its often difficult to
> capture every situation.
>
> I realize that this sounds terrible, and perhaps there is a better way
> to go about this, but this has been my experience.
>
> IMO, the best way to test Capistrano is to have a staging environment
> that simulates your production environment where you deploy to and
> make sure things work.
> I can't recall a situation where I had non-obvious issues that would
> have been prevented with unit tests. Often times, non-obvious issues
> are related to properly restarting processes because the monit + shell
> script interactions had issues. This is testable, of course.

That's why I suggested *acceptance tests* in Cucumber. I don't think
mocking / unit testing is going to get you much value here - what you
need is something that feeds back whether the whole thing works. So
yeah you'll need a sandbox / staging environment for that.

Matt Wynne
http://blog.mattwynne.net
http://www.songkick.com