[rspec-users] [Cucumber, BDD] When not to use Cucumber?

Ben Mabey ben at benmabey.com
Sat Jan 24 12:27:57 EST 2009

On 1/23/09 10:04 PM, Brent Snook wrote:

*snip*

> If I was choosing a testing approach for a project that had technical
> people as customers I would still use the GWT format. I think it helps
> you continually focus on what you are really trying to achieve,
> otherwise it can be too easy to burrow down into the technical details
> and lose sight of that. No matter what the nature of project, every
> thing that you do is driven by the goal of adding some sort of value.
> Continually keeping that goal in mind helps you make better choices
> along the way.

This is at the herat of what I was asking.  Even if every "customer" of
the project is fluent in ruby would you still bother with the plaintext
GWT features of Cucumber?  I think you have nailed it.. Or at least,
have confirmed my thoughts on the matter. :)  Business value is business
value no matter who is the customer.  While other tools can be used to
automate acceptance criteria Cucumber provides the huge advantage of
helping you focus and analyze on what the desired business value is.  I
have talked to other people who have claimed that the GWT gets in the
way though, so YMMV.  So, I wouldn't be surprised that in some technical
domains the overhead of adding features just doesn't make sense.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Ben