[rspec-users] [Cucumber, BDD] When not to use Cucumber?

Nick Hoffman nick at deadorange.com
Fri Jan 23 18:03:12 EST 2009

On 23/01/2009, at 12:04 PM, Ben Mabey wrote:
> So... I'm curious what people's thoughts are.  When writing
> acceptance tests how do you choose which tool is best for the job?
> I often hear people complaining about the GWT syntax and they see no
> benefit of it over the frameworks that provide contexts (i.e rspec,
> shoulda, etc).[1] In what cases, if any, do you think the GWT gets
> in the way and how?  In particular, if you are writing an app or lib
> whose customers/users are all developers do you still think there is
> value in the GWT syntax that Cucumber provides?

I've been using RSpec since July, and love it. For the last few
months, I've been reading most of the Cucumber posts on this list.
Last week, I thought I'd give Cucumber a try. It feels like a really
fantastic tool for determining business requirements, functionality,
etc. From what I can tell though, there seems to be a lot of overlap
between RSpec specs, and Cucumber features and stories. For that
reason, I haven't delved much further into Cucumber, because I don't
want to be repeating myself, and having to update two sets of files
whenever I make a change.

However, if that's not the case, please correct me!
Nick