[rspec-users] [Cucumber, BDD] When not to use Cucumber?

James Byrne lists at ruby-forum.com
Fri Jan 23 17:45:23 EST 2009

Fernando Perez wrote:
>> My own experience is quite limited, [...]
> Hi James, are you saying that you only use Cucumber and not RSpec at
> all?

No, I do use RSpec and TestUnit for that matter, but not to any extent
at the present time.  I find that cucumber features are much more
conducive to driving out the design than RSpec expectations.  Once the
essence of the application is laid out and working then, if necessary, I
will consider adding more technical type expectations via RSpec.

Frankly, at the moment, I do not see a compelling case to move from step
definitions into formal RSpec expectations.  Again, my experience in
these matters is limited and perhaps as it grows my appreciations will
change as well.

I do note however, that once one finds a tool that suits ones needs then
it is somewhat inefficient to use another without some compelling
advantage to be gained.  What advantage does formal RSpec constructions
provide over cucumber step definitions using RSpec and RSpec-Rails
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.