[rspec-users] Cucumber ENV setting in env.rb

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 09:25:14 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 8:47 AM, Andrew Premdas <apremdas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Luis
>
> Not quite sure that your criticism is of my post is justified. At no point
> did I say that James should give up on Windows nor give up on Cygwin, only
> that it is very difficult to get the terminal colors to work exactly how you
> want in that environment. This is based on considerable experience trying to
> do precisely this. Nor am I saying that people should not use Windows for
> Rails or that you cannot have an effective Rails setup with Windows.

You forgot to put a smiley icon along your statement that install OSX ;-)

> What I am saying is that having an effective Unix command prompt in Windows
> that you can control with as much precision as in linux or OSX is very
> difficult under Windows. If you want to do this (and I really did want to do
> this) then the XTerm approach was more effective at trying to control
> terminal colors consistently in comparison to manipulating the standard
> cygwin terminal.  But whatever you do you will probably have to compromise
> somewhat your terminal experience in comparison to a proper nix.

I cannot comment too much on cygwin experince, since only used it for
short amount of time and with rxvt. In my experience, I've only used
bash directly which provided syntax coloring without issues.

Now, the thing is that I'm talking about MSYS bash, no cygwin, so
dunno how that will work.

XTerm, while it provided a workaround to the problem, and worked as
solution, imposes another requirement for users to use it (you need to
adapt to something different can also not work with other tools).

The nature of console in Windows is far from ideal, but that applies
to native Ruby on Windows

Cygwin Ruby should behave much like *nix, with ansi colors and all that.

As other users commented, setting environment variables is not a
problem on native Windows (I use and abuse of that in a daily basis).

But again, dunno what happens in cygwin island.