[rspec-users] Cucumber ENV setting in env.rb

Andrew Premdas apremdas at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 05:47:15 EST 2009

Not quite sure that your criticism is of my post is justified. At no point
did I say that James should give up on Windows nor give up on Cygwin, only
that it is very difficult to get the terminal colors to work exactly how you
want in that environment. This is based on considerable experience trying to
do precisely this. Nor am I saying that people should not use Windows for
Rails or that you cannot have an effective Rails setup with Windows.

What I am saying is that having an effective Unix command prompt in Windows
that you can control with as much precision as in linux or OSX is very
difficult under Windows. If you want to do this (and I really did want to do
this) then the XTerm approach was more effective at trying to control
terminal colors consistently in comparison to manipulating the standard
cygwin terminal.  But whatever you do you will probably have to compromise
somewhat your terminal experience in comparison to a proper nix.