[rspec-users] Cucumber ENV setting in env.rb

James Byrne lists at ruby-forum.com
Thu Jan 22 10:38:31 EST 2009

I develop in a heterogeneous environment.  When I am working with Ruby
on Rails on my laptop then I am inside the bash shell of cygwin running
under MS-WinXPpro.

I also happen to favour a light green on dark green default terminal
display.  This renders portions of cucumber's output, under its default
colour scheme, invisible on both Linux and cygwin.  So, I have set up a
custom ENV setting in support/env.rb.  Thus:

 ENV["CUCUMBER_COLORS"] =
'passed=white,bold:passed_param=white,bold,underscore'

When I run rake features this works exactly as I intended under Linux,
but seems to have no effect whatsoever under cygwin.  I am working
around this by manually setting the session environment variable and I
could make this solution permanent by altering my .bashrc script. I
nonetheless would like to know why this Ruby setting does not seem to
work in all cases.  Is there a special syntax for cygwin/windows?  Have
I missed a step and the fact that Linux turns out as expected simply a
coincidence?