[rspec-users] [Cucumber, Merb, Webrat] undefined method 'response' for Merb::Test::World::Webrat

Daniel Vartanov daniel.vartanov at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 09:45:14 EST 2009

I get the following error everytime I try to check the result of previous
step (by the way, I use default result_steps.rb):

undefined local variable or method `response' for
#<Merb::Test::World::Webrat:0x7f083c7860b8> (NameError)
./features/steps/result_steps.rb:14:in ` /^the (.*) ?request should fail/'
features/authentication/login.feature:17:in `/^the (.*) ?request should

It is raised even in a freshly generated merb application (merb-gen app) and
freshly generated cucumber files (merb-gen cucumber --session-type webrat).

Here are the versions of the installed gems:
cucumber (0.1.15)
merb (1.0.8)
webrat (0.4.0)
david-merb_cucumber (

Where should I search for the source of the problem?