[rspec-users] [Cucumber] Scenario Outlines Output Insufficient

Andrew Premdas apremdas at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 16:31:13 EST 2009

Comments below

2009/1/19 Joseph Wilk <lists at ruby-forum.com>

> Andrew Premdas wrote:
> > You misunderstood I bit of my post, I've nested a comment. Its towards
> > the
> > end of the post.
> >
> > 2009/1/18 Joseph Wilk <joe at josephwilk.net>
> >
> >> Scenario Outline: viewing resources                                   #
> >> features/admin/poop.feature:11
> >>
> >> --
> >> features/step_definitions/general.rb:1
> >>     When I follow <resource> resource                                #
> >>     |product |
> >>
> http://rspec.lighthouseapp.com/projects/16211-cucumber/tickets/163-hidden-pending-status-with-output-when-using-scenario-outlines
> >> And there are 4 <resource>
> >>

> >> keen on this solution as I would like to preserve the way the scenarios
> are
> >> defined (in the feature file) with the way that they are outputted.
> >>

> >>     And there are 4 category                                      #
> >> features/admin/poop.feature:8
> >>     And there are 4 product                                        #
> >> features/step_definitions/product.rb:1
> >>

> > No you've misunderstood me. I meant the outline step is colored with the
> > worst result. Then the details of each run of the step are nested inside
> > the
> > outline step showing the output for each resource (entry in the table)
>
> Would you expect to still see the scenario table with status colours?

Yes it feels that the table would still be useful in this situation to guide
you back to the nested output to look for things

> Do you think it might become difficult to workout which steps are for
> which run?
> i.e the 5th indented Step broke so lets read through and find each 5th
> step to see what the run did.

Hopefully because the nested output contains the expanded template variable
the navigation will be OK. The idea was that the nesting would only happen
when there was variation i.e. a different matcher in the first example or a
different result in the second. If you showed the nesting for every step
regardless then yes I think things could get pretty confusing.

I haven't really thought about what happens with errors yet. For example if
you have five things in your table and they all fail generating a massive
output stack. Would you really want to see five output stacks?

> It does sound like an interesting idea. Would you mind adding the full
> output you would expect with this indentation in the ticket please? (If
> you want colour as a html attachment).

I will do this, but let me think about it a little more

> Thanks,

Your welcome