[rspec-users] cucumber rake file question

James Byrne lists at ruby-forum.com
Mon Jan 19 10:10:21 EST 2009

Tom Cloyd wrote:

> I did NOT know that the line was optional, though. It's not documented
> anywhere that I've seen, although I suppose that to those more
> knowledgeable than I that fact may be obvious.

My experience is that, while copious, Ruby documentation suffers from
excessive terseness of expression.  It is almost as if the brevity of
Ruby code influences the writers' ability to express themselves in
English.

If you have not done so already then I suggest that you obtain a couple
of books on Ruby.  Two that I have found extremely well written and
valuable are:

 The Ruby Way, Second Edition: Solutions and Techniques in Ruby
Programming by Hal Fulton (2006); and

 Ruby for Rails: Ruby Techniques for Rails Developers by David Black
(2006).

Despite its title, Ruby for Rails is an expansive look at Ruby with the
Rails framework providing an example of how Ruby is meant to be used
(and sometimes misused).

The Ruby canon of course is the pickaxe book, now revised for Ruby
1.9/2.0.  You would find the second edition very useful.

  Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmers' Guide, Second Edition by
Fowler, Hunt and Thomas (2005)

Myself, I prefer David Black's book to all the rest.  His work is
perhaps the best written textbook that I have ever encountered.