[rspec-users] Time for seperate cucumber mailing list?

James Byrne lists at ruby-forum.com
Sun Jan 18 17:53:09 EST 2009

Bart Zonneveld wrote:

> How'bout splitting this list up into a more "beginners" oriented
> version, and a discussion one?
> This list is called rspec-users, so let's let this be the starting
> point of questions like "I can't get rspec/cucumber/whatyouhaving to
> work", and have a rspec-discussion list with the more high level/BDD-
> oriented discussions?

My own experience with this sort of bifurcation has not been happy.
Putting all levels of experience together seems to provide a richer and
more satisfactory experience for all, in most cases.  Where the audience
spans a vast range of experience then a seemingly innocuous how-to
question like, How do I get this regexp to work in cucumber, may lead
into a more fulsome examination of not only how, but why and when, you
use regexp in testing at all and why and when you should not. The real
value of experience lies in knowing what questions you should be asking
and not in just parroting back answers to the problem posed.  That sort
of expansiveness, of looking at the underlying issues, tends to
disappear in nube/old-hand lists.

If a mailing list is divided arbitrarily along knowledge lines then one
has created an additional task of evaluating which list to post on.  If
the list is to be divided at all, and I am not convinced that there
exists any pressing reason to do so, then I believe that it should be
fractured along the subject matter rather than experience levels.