[rspec-users] Cucumber Scenario Outlines Output Insufficient

Andrew Premdas apremdas at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 11:01:20 EST 2009

I have output issues both with scenario outlines and using step tables. I'll
deal with scenario outline in this mail. This will have to be an html mail
as I need color to say what I want to say, I'll also use a real world
example so this will be a bit long

Currently the output of my scenario outline is

--
Scenario Outline: viewing resources                                   #
features/admin/poop.feature:6
    Given an admin user admin exists                                 #
features/admin/poop.feature:7
    And there are 4 <resource>                                       #
features/admin/poop.feature:8
    When I login as admin with adminpass                             #
features/admin/poop.feature:9
    And I visit admin_home page                                      #
features/admin/poop.feature:10
    Then I should be at the admin_home page                          #
features/admin/poop.feature:11
    And I should see a <resource> resource                           #
features/admin/poop.feature:12
    When I ppope  ksdjhfkh jadfh kjh kahjkh ksdfh khsdfa <resource>  #
features/admin/poop.feature:13
    When I follow <resource> resource                                #
features/admin/poop.feature:14
    Then PPouay Widgit should see a list of 4 <resource>             #
features/admin/poop.feature:15
    And I should see a new <resource> link                           #
features/admin/poop.feature:16

    |resource|
    |category|
    |product |
    |user    |

4 scenarios
15 steps passed
3 steps skipped
12 steps pending (12 with no step definition)
--

So I'd like more information about which steps are matched which are skipped
etc.

--
Scenario Outline: viewing resources                                #
features/admin/poop.feature:6
    Given an admin user admin exists                                 #
features/step_definitions/accounts/creation.steps.rb:66
    And there are 4 <resource>                                       #
features/step_definitions/general.rb:1
    When I login as admin with adminpass                             #
features/step_definitions/accounts/login.steps.rb:35
    And I visit admin_home page                                      #
features/step_definitions/general.rb:19
    Then I should be at the admin_home page                          #
features/step_definitions/general.rb:30
    And I should see a <resource> resource                           #
features/admin/poop.feature:12
    When I ppope  ksdjhfkh jadfh kjh kahjkh ksdfh khsdfa <resource>  #
features/admin/poop.feature:13
    When I follow <resource> resource                                #
features/step_definitions/admin_steps.rb:23
    Then PPouay Widgit should see a list of 4 <resource>             #
features/admin/poop.feature:15
    And I should see a new <resource> link                           #
features/admin/poop.feature:16

    |resource|
    |category|
    |product |
    |user    |

  3 scenarios
5 steps passed 3 times
1 steps skipped 3 times
4 steps pending (4 with no step definition)
--

Now there are a couple of issues I can think of that might challenge this
output. This is basically situations where the output varies dependent on

1. Different step matches a line dependent on resource

And there are 4 <resource>
    And there are 4 category                                      #
features/step_definitions/category.rb:1
    And there are 4 product                                        #
features/step_definitions/product.rb:1
    And there are 4 user                                            #
features/step_definitions/user.rb:1

2. Different result of step depending on resource i.e. sometimes is matches
sometime it fails. Here the line color should be of the worst result

And there are 4 <resource>
    And there are 4 category                                      #
features/admin/poop.feature:8
    And there are 4 product                                        #
features/step_definitions/product.rb:1
    And there are 4 user                                            #
features/step_definitions/user.rb:1

---

An alternative approach might be to expand the resource display when things
go wrong, i.e. put problems underneath the resource in which they're
detected

|resource|
|category|
   And there are 4 category                                      #
features/admin/poop.feature:8
 |product |
 |user    |

So here I can tell that this step hasn't passed

I hope this helps

Andrew