[rspec-users] Reorganize documentation for Cucumber at Github

Tom Cloyd tomcloyd at comcast.net
Sat Jan 17 21:57:38 EST 2009

aslak hellesoy wrote:

> Ok, I'll give a stab at what a 5 minute introduction might contain.
> Please comment.
>
> 1) Who should use Cucumber, and what benefits can you get from it?
> 2) How Cucumber works (high level explanation without getting too
> technical).
> 3) Learn the nomenclature - features, scenarios, steps (step
> definitions later). Some style guidlines.
> 4) What does a Cucumber feature look like (plain - no outlines or
> tables). Learn how to write one in a simple text editor.
> 5) How to install and run Cucumber (using the one from 3 as example.
> No Rake yet - just the cucumber command)
> 6) What does the output from Cucumber mean? (Learn to read the
> deafault console output. Colours and error messages. Mention other
> formatters)
I just thought of a possible addition. Might go here, or possibly earlier.

"Starting points" - how to implement Cucumber, starting from where you
are now with your coding project.

1. Group One: Haven't started yet; just getting organized. How to use
this tool to Do It Right.
2. Group Two: HAVE started, and some thing are already working, but have
no testing in place, and significant coding to launch. What to do to
bring in cucumber most efficiently.
3. Group Three: Have working code. Want to bring in testing. It is it
too late to use Cucumber? If not, how do I do it?

What's needed isn't so much detailed instructions as is a priority list,
and a clear starting point. Details can be worked out using the
discussion list, I imagine. A top-down approach. For amateurs like me,
it's hard for me to do top-down, when I know so little.

For example: I'm in Group Two, with my most important project, and I'm
my own customer, as it were. What I'm doing (tonight, in fact), is
simulating a fresh start, starting with a few simple classes, which I
haven't written yet (because I don't write classes - I'm totally
procedural, but that's changing immediately), working to move ahead
quickly by adapting existing code to the new framework, as it were. But,
of course, I'm not at all sure I'm going about it right. I'll fumble
through, until things get clearer, but a little recipe of sorts would be
very helpful, and I don't have one.

I hope this helps!

Tom

<< tc at tomcloyd.com >> (email)