[rspec-users] Reorganize documentation for Cucumber at Github

Tom Cloyd tomcloyd at comcast.net
Sat Jan 17 16:10:23 EST 2009

Fernando Perez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I actually just noticed that Cucumber has plenty good documentation on
> its wiki at github. But the problems are:
>
> - The homepage is badly designed as it doesn't really outline an order
> to read other pages
> - It is impossible to make the difference between internal links to the
> wiki and links that will bring us some where else unless we hover over
> the link
> - Pages don't link to each other such as: read next page or previous
> page, or related pages
> - Pages are just sorted alphabetically which is not a proper way of
> sorting
>
> Would it be possible to at least number the pages in the order in which
> we should read as if we were reading a book about cucumber?
>
> The documentation seems excellent but is definitely not well marketed
> for new comers :)

Oh, I totally agree. Add in the fact that the Rails stuff is just a mess
for non-Rails people to read, and we really have two problems to solve.
That's how I, at least, have been experiencing it.

My own solution is to build my own procedural outline. I'm working on it
today, in fact - sort of a "Cucumber for dummies" document. In my
conception, liberal use will be made of links to existing pages, or to
sections thereof, as there's no need to attempt to redo what the experts
have already done well. I figure if I write what I wish I'd encountered
when I went to the wiki, and then see if I can get it there, it might
help other folks.

Your final sentence says it all - great documentation, but not for
newbies. Where's the starting point? Etc.

I'm working on this thing right now, and maybe it'll be far enough along
for some kind of review this weekend. Or...I could put it up, say on a
Google Sites wiki, and several of us could work on it. Any thoughts? I
actually prefer to work in a group, but have already started on my own.

Yeah, I like that idea - a temporary Google Sites wiki.

Tom

Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< tc at tomcloyd.com >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website)