[rspec-users] Vendoring rspec 1.1.12 as a gem

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 14:58:47 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 1:42 PM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Wincent Colaiuta <win at wincent.com> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Up until now I've always used RSpec as a plug-in in my vendor dir, but
>> seeing as the gem is the endorsed way to install I decided I would try the
>> gem this time (still vendoring it though because I vendor everything).
>>
>> Anyone had any luck doing that?
>>
>> Here's what I did. First, to get rspec and rspec-rails on the system:
>>
>>  sudo gem install rspec-rails
>>
>> Then add a couple lines to my config/environments/test.rb file:
>>
>>  config.gem 'rspec',       :version => '1.1.12'
>>  config.gem 'rspec-rails', :version => '1.1.12'
>
> I just posted about this on the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.github.com/dchelimsky/rspec-rails/configgem
>
> Please check that out and let us know if you have any trouble.

Actually, that doesn't address vendoring, just configuring. I have not
been able to get rspec vendored successfully yet. I wonder if anybody
has any ideas about the following:

Right now, if you do this in config/environments/test.rb:

config.gem "rspec", :lib => false, :version => "1.1.12"
config.gem "rspec-rails", :lib => false, :version => "1.1.12"

and then type this command:

RAILS_ENV=test rake gems

you get this output:

$ RAILS_ENV=test rake gems
(in /Users/david/projects/ruby/tmp/foo)
 - [R] rspec = 1.1.12
 - [I] rspec-rails = 1.1.12
    - [I] rspec = 1.1.12
    - [ ] cucumber >= 0.1.13
    - [ ] hoe >= 1.8.2
    - [ ] term-ansicolor >= 1.0.3
    - [ ] treetop >= 1.2.4
    - [ ] diff-lcs >= 1.1.2
    - [ ] polyglot
    - [ ] rubyforge >= 1.0.1
    - [I] rake = 0.8.3

I = Installed
F = Frozen
R = Framework (loaded before rails starts)

That lists all of rspec's dev dependencies (indented) - but the thing
that I don't understand yet is the [R] indication that rspec gets
assigned. The result is that if you try to vendor rspec and
rspec-rails, it only vendors rspec-rails, not rspec.

Anybody have a grasp on why this is happening? I'd love to get this
resolved before the next release.

Thanks,
David