[rspec-users] Vendoring rspec 1.1.12 as a gem

Wincent Colaiuta win at wincent.com
Sat Jan 17 12:06:32 EST 2009

Hi folks,

Up until now I've always used RSpec as a plug-in in my vendor dir, but
seeing as the gem is the endorsed way to install I decided I would try
the gem this time (still vendoring it though because I vendor

Anyone had any luck doing that?

Here's what I did. First, to get rspec and rspec-rails on the system:

   sudo gem install rspec-rails

Then add a couple lines to my config/environments/test.rb file:

   config.gem 'rspec',       :version => '1.1.12'
   config.gem 'rspec-rails', :version => '1.1.12'

Then I tried vendoring the gems:

   RAILS_ENV=test rake gems:unpack
   (in /Users/wincent/app/src)
   no such file to load -- rspec-rails
   /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `require'

So looks like back to plug-in for now. But still wanted to ask if
anyone had gotten this to work (this with current Rails 2.2.2).