[rspec-users] Time for seperate cucumber mailing list?

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 10:11:42 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Kero van Gelder <kero at chello.nl> wrote:

> >> Because traffic is increasing
>
> That's a bad reason to split a list.
>
> >> Because cucumber really is a seperate mature topic now.
> >
> > Good point. Can any newbies to the scene comment if this is confusing?
>
> It is mature.
> But is it separate?
>
> >> Because rspec overlap is getting smaller (relatively)
> >
> > Meh. I don't know about that. These are two tools I use every day to
> > drive out changes to my code. I'm still learning when is the right time
> > to use each one, and it varies a lot, so for me there's still
> > significant overlap in terms of the people I want to share ideas with.
>
> Most interesting (imho) discussions on this list are about the larger
> picture.
> "Individuals and interaction over process and tools"
> splitting a mailing list reduces interaction ;)
> And isn't it wonderful how a question about regexps triggers a team
> to standardize their language? Too bad if you miss that because the thread
> was on the other mailling list...
>
> I skip the Rails questions, mostly; but questions about too often needing
> "Given I am logged in as XYZ with roles A B C"
> contribute to discussions about GivenScenario and nested steps, i.e.
> helps driving the direction of our tools.
> (meaning that I could argue that rails related stuff should go to its
> own mailing list, but that I will not argue that; use delete-thread
> in your favorite mail progam instead.)
>
> I'd rather see people using topics like
>  [Rails] my models and viewers are out of control!
>  [Cucumber] I can not heckle the pickles
>  [spec] it should do
> to allow people to filter automagically what they are not interested in.
> A little bit of discipline that should come easily when you wonder the
> entire day about the best specs and stories, and variable names, no?

Excellent suggestion, I endorse this idea.

Please start prefixing your questions:

[RSpec]
[Cucumber]
[Webrat] (Webrat also has a separate mailing list)
[Rails] (Rails has tons of other forums too - please only ask here if it's
RSpec or Cucumber related)
[BDD]
[OT] (Off topic)
etc...

or if your post is about several topics, for example:

[Cucumber,Ruby]
[RSpec,Rails]

etc...

I agree it's better to keep everything on this list to keep the big picture.

Aslak

> Bye,
> Kero.
>
> ___
> How can I change the world if I can't even change myself?
>  -- Faithless, Salva Mea

Aslak (::)