[rspec-users] Time for seperate cucumber mailing list?

Kero van Gelder kero at chello.nl
Sat Jan 17 08:21:55 EST 2009

>> Because traffic is increasing

That's a bad reason to split a list.

>> Because cucumber really is a seperate mature topic now.
>
> Good point. Can any newbies to the scene comment if this is confusing?

It is mature.
But is it separate?

>> Because rspec overlap is getting smaller (relatively)
>
> Meh. I don't know about that. These are two tools I use every day to
> drive out changes to my code. I'm still learning when is the right time
> to use each one, and it varies a lot, so for me there's still
> significant overlap in terms of the people I want to share ideas with.

Most interesting (imho) discussions on this list are about the larger picture.
"Individuals and interaction over process and tools"
splitting a mailing list reduces interaction ;)
And isn't it wonderful how a question about regexps triggers a team
to standardize their language? Too bad if you miss that because the thread
was on the other mailling list...

I skip the Rails questions, mostly; but questions about too often needing
"Given I am logged in as XYZ with roles A B C"
contribute to discussions about GivenScenario and nested steps, i.e.
helps driving the direction of our tools.
(meaning that I could argue that rails related stuff should go to its
own mailing list, but that I will not argue that; use delete-thread
in your favorite mail progam instead.)

I'd rather see people using topics like
 [Rails] my models and viewers are out of control!
 [Cucumber] I can not heckle the pickles
 [spec] it should do
to allow people to filter automagically what they are not interested in.
A little bit of discipline that should come easily when you wonder the
entire day about the best specs and stories, and variable names, no?

Bye,
Kero.

___
How can I change the world if I can't even change myself?
  -- Faithless, Salva Mea