[rspec-users] App can't start on production server due to RSpec missing

Scott Taylor scott at railsnewbie.com
Fri Jan 16 18:09:11 EST 2009

On Jan 16, 2009, at 4:15 PM, Fernando Perez wrote:

>> I would delete that rake task file (lib/rspec.rake) if you don't have
>> rspec installed.
>> Scott
> I run rspec on my dev machine, but obviously not on my production
> machine, what would be the nicest way to handle such scenario? At the
> top of rspec.rake I could add a check on the environment, I could also
> not add this file to my repository but I could forget about this
> file in
> future clones of my repo, etc.

I'd most certainly add it to the repos in the form of a plugin.

What exactly are you worried about?  The memory overhead of loading
the rspec code? (I'm not sure exactly how rails works here - does it
simply rspec/lib/ to the $LOAD_PATH?  Does it require lib/spec.rb?)

Obviously if your production code is explicitly calling rspec, you've
got bigger problems.