[rspec-users] App can't start on production server due to RSpec missing

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 16:05:41 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Fernando Perez <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just run in the following problem when starting a Rails app on my
> production server:
>
>  You have rspec rake tasks installed in
>  /home/thomas/rails_apps/video_on_demand/lib/tasks/rspec.rake,
>  but rspec can not be found in vendor/gems, vendor/plugins or on the
> system.
>

> Obviously I don't want Rails to load anything related to rspec, how can
> I tell Rails that it should not care about RSpec on the production
> environment?
>
> A quick fix is to install rspec and rspec-rails gems on production
> server, but I don't get why the app wants them installed.

This is a tricky business.

We put that in there in response to a user who works on a team. One
team member had pulled code and tried t run specs and got an error he
didn't understand, so this is intended to help that developer know he
needs to install rspec.

So now this creates a new problem for you, which is that this means
you have to have rspec installed everywhere you want to run rake
tasks.

I'm open to suggestions for how to best solve for both cases if you have any.

Cheers,
David