[rspec-users] rspec model testing - test on user defined validation- How do I test that the create failed.

Ken Wegener kgwcoach at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 16 06:29:19 EST 2009

I'm new to rspec and looking for way to test a validation I added to a model.

The test checks to see that if field1 has a value then field2 must be nil
and vice versa.

-------------------------------
When I did the rspec_scaffold it generated one test which worked

before :each do
  @valid_attributes = {
    :field1 = "value for field1"
    :field2 = "value for field2"
   }

 MyTest.create!(@valid_attributes)
end

it "should create a new instance given valid attributes" do
 MyTest.create!(@valid_attributes)
end

---------------------------------
Before coding I modified the test file as follows

it "should create a new instance given valid attributes" do

@valid_attributes1 = {
    :field1 = "value for field1"
    :field2 = nil
   }

MyTest.create!(@valid_attributes1)

  @valid_attributes2 = {
    :field1 = nil
    :field2 = "value for field2"
   }

 MyTest.create!(@valid_attributes2)
end

it "should not create a new instance given incompatible attribute values" do

@invalid_attributes1 = {
    :field1 = "value for field1"
    :field2 = "value for field2"
   }

MyTest.create!(@invalid_attributes)   # I don't know how to test that the
save failed!!
end

naturally the first two test failed and the last one as written didn't.

after coding my validation the first two pass and naturally last one didn't.

How do I test that the create failed.