[rspec-users] Help with regexp in matcher

James Byrne lists at ruby-forum.com
Thu Jan 15 17:13:28 EST 2009

Matt Wynne wrote:

> +1 to all that. I feel like you get lectured quite a bit by this list
> James, but you'd do well to heed the advice of some battle-hardened
> journeymen, IMO.

I thought that you might like to know that, after reflecting on this
overnight, I took this matter up in a design meeting today.  After a
"frank exchange of ideas" it was accepted that login, and all its
related ilk, did not describe what the application was doing and was
therefore misleading and depreciated.  The clincher was when I raised
the issue of authentication via end user x.509 certificates.

So, what we have now are features that read like this:

When the user "myuser" authenticates with a password

When the user is not authenticated

Then they should see the authentication page

Then they should see an authentication request message

Then they press the authenticate button

When the user session is not current

We have, in consequence, gone through and removed the term login from
all code use as well; replacing it with authenticate.  So, for example,
the authentication form now says: To Proceed Please Authenticate

I am sometimes (ok, mostly) slow to understand what I am told, but I do
hear it.  Thanks for all the help on this.  I believe that the
discussion here regarding the entire nomenclature issue provided a real
improvement to our design.