[rspec-users] getting started - very much a beginner

Tom Cloyd tomcloyd at comcast.net
Wed Jan 14 10:22:38 EST 2009

James Byrne wrote:
> Tom Cloyd wrote:
>> The problem is that this assumes you are working with Rails, about
>> which I know little and desire to know less. I get stuck, on that page,
>> at the phrase...
>> ==When you run "script/generate cucumber" ==
>> Huh? Is this something you do in Rails?
>> Then there's this --
>> -----
>> Running script/generate cucumber adds this layout to the existing
>> structure:
>> ||-- features
>> |   |-- step_definitions
>> |   |   `-- webrat_steps.rb
>> |   `-- support
>> |       `-- env.rb
>> |
>> We are now ready to begin testing with cucumber.
>> -----
>> Well, maybe for some people...but not for me.
>> I simply cannot see what to do first.
> First, let me a assure you that ignorance, or at least the admission to
> it, is a de facto requirement here.  If we all knew everything then
> there would be precious little to write about.
Nicely put! Thanks for the reassurance. I remain assured, however, that
I'll assuredly be the class dummy here, which is to say that I will
quite effortlessly make all others look very good (!).
> Second, as the author of the Cucumber Backgrounder, I apologize for my
> evident bias in creating a solely Rails Centric guide.  This article
> was, in fact, my first attempt at such a thing and I completely
> overlooked that others might not approach testing with cucumber from
> outside the Rails Framework.  Over the next little while I will
> endeavour to correct that defect.
Very kind of you.
> Third, that article was intended as a guide on how to get cucumber
> working inside a Rails project rather than a guide on how to actually
> construct tests/features.  In other words, it deals primarily with the
> mechanics of setting up the environment rather than with exercising the
> capabilities.
Distinction noted.

All me to say that I found, and continue to find, your article a primary
source of real value to me, far more useful to me than not, as I
commence my cucumber adventure, later today. Thanks for your effort, and
for any further efforts you make in a similar direction.

Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< tc at tomcloyd.com >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website)