[rspec-users] maybe I 'get it' after all

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 08:12:46 EST 2009

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Tom Cloyd <tomcloyd at comcast.net> wrote:

> I hope I'm not the only one in the world who posts to a discussion list
> only to (maybe) get the answer to a question moments after hitting
> posting. Sigh.
>
> Looking again, in the cucumber wiki page "Running Features", I had a
> sense that I maybe I DID know what to do, went to
> /examples/dos_line_endings in the cucumber gems installation on my
> machine, and entered to the CLI -
>
> ~$ cucumber features/dos_line_endings.feature
>
> After I stopped laughing at the feature description text (I too love
> Linux), I have to admit that this output simply works for me. Whew.
>
> So...my sense of "what to do" now, is to write *.feature files, with
> corresponding step definition files, then...well, there's lots of
> what-to-do info very lucidly written in the wiki. I much enjoy reading
> it - although I wish the Rails stuff was factored out, because it's of
> no use if you're not doing Rails, and I think I'm going to have to try
> to translate some of it, and will likely do it badly...

Good point. Keeping Rails-related content apart from the more general
Cucumber docs has been my goal since I started.

However, several contributors to the Wiki are using Rails and it seems they
often think that everybody is using Rails. Or maybe they are so ingrained in
the Rails way of doing things that it's hard to describe non-Rails
environments.

Keep this in mind folks!

Aslak