[rspec-users] Is the Fit Table documentation correct?

MarkMT mark.thomson at ieee.org
Sat Jan 10 18:44:32 EST 2009

I've been looking at the authentication feature example contained in
merb_cucumber and not having used features with tabulated input before
I had to go and look for an explanation of the syntax. However when I
looked at the wiki page on github that deals with this -

http://wiki.github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/using-fit-tables-in-a-feature

I had some difficulty mapping the description there into what I was
seeing in the example, which is shown here -

http://github.com/david/merb_cucumber/tree/master/lib/generators/cucumber/templates/features/authentication/login.feature

After some searching I found a discussion on lighthouse that seems to
bear on this issue -

http://rspec.lighthouseapp.com/projects/16211-cucumber/tickets/57-scenario-templates-to-allow-for-terse-scenario-tables

This describes a syntax change that (if I understand correctly)
involves putting variable placeholders in angle brackets and matching
these to the column headings in the table. This seems to be consistent
with the merb-cucumber example.

However if I'm understanding this correctly, it looks like the change
has not yet been reflected in the github documentation. Can someone
confirm for me that this is the case, because it's possible that I'm
just plain confused.

Also, does the approach currently shown in the documentation still
work? And is the idea there that table columns map sequentially onto
the strings that correspond to the regexp match groups in the step
definitions? Are the column headings then essentially redundant in
that case?

Mark.