[rspec-users] Cucumber - Performance

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Wed Jan 7 06:52:11 EST 2009

On 7 Jan 2009, at 09:31, Colin Jack wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Small question on performance. I've just run the CS example provided
> with Cucumber and it took about 45-50 seconds before the first
> output appeared in the console, but once this first output had
> appeared the tests completed quickly.
>
> I'm wondering whether this is the expected performance or whether
> the plan is to optimize it at some time in the future?

I normally just use MRI to run Cucumber, but I have tried JRuby a
couple of times and noticed that was a bit slower to start up. I'd
guess it's something similar with IronRuby - .NET apps are often slow
to start up the first time in my experience, as the JIT compilation
kicks in or whatever magic it is these days.

Have you tried running any other Ruby tools through IronRuby? How do
they perform?

If you think it's a bug in Cucumber (even if one specific to running
on the IronRuby platform) please raise a ticket at lighthouse[1].
Obviously the more you can do to diagnose the fault, the faster it's
likely to be fixed.

[1]http://rspec.lighthouseapp.com/projects/16211-cucumber/overview

Matt Wynne
http://blog.mattwynne.net