[rspec-users] [Cucumber] after feature hook?

Joseph Wilk joe at josephwilk.net
Mon Jan 5 10:13:24 EST 2009

aidy lewis wrote:
> Hi Alsak,
>
> I am finding it difficult to separate my Acceptance Tests unless I
> have lengthy scenarios.
>
> One scenario would be one sequence of action etc - until a goal is reached.
>
> At the end of the feature, I would like the browser to close:
So you are using scenarios to get the browser into a certain state and
then the next scenario relies on continuing work on that state?
I guess this must mean one scenario failing breaks all following
scenarios in the feature?
> If the
> browser closes on each scenario - they I have to get back to the
> previous state. This is expensive with browser based tests.
>
> Aidy

A bit of a side note but can I ask why you need the browser to close
after a scenario or feature?

In Selenium (not sure if Watir is the same) the time expense of starting
a new browser instances per scenario or per feature is too high (It can
take 7/8 seconds for selenium to start a browser). So rather than
closing and opening new browsers we use a single browser instance open
throughout the test run. We terminate the session before each scenario
(By accessing logout).

@@@ruby
World do
  browser.open '/logout'