[rspec-users] My first tests, backwards. Please help

Jesse Crockett lists at ruby-forum.com
Thu Jan 1 06:31:17 EST 2009

Jesse Crockett wrote:
> I hope to be on my feet after a few more basic questions..

I'm sorry, but this is beginning to feel like kicking myself in the
head.

=== here is what I'm working with
http://github.com/fudgestudios/bort/tree/master

=== Errors
FF

1)
NoMethodError in 'bidding on an item should be allowed with a credit'
You might have expected an instance of ActiveRecord::Base.
The error occurred while evaluating nil.new_record?
spec/controllers/auction_controller_spec.rb:23:
spec/controllers/auction_controller_spec.rb:6:

2)
NoMethodError in 'bidding on an item should require a credit'
You might have expected an instance of ActiveRecord::Base.
The error occurred while evaluating nil.new_record?
spec/controllers/auction_controller_spec.rb:17:
spec/controllers/auction_controller_spec.rb:6:

Finished in 0.074996 seconds

2 examples, 2 failures

=== here is my controller action

  def bid

      @bid = Bid.new(params[:bid])
      @bid.save

  end

=== here is my test

require File.dirname(__FILE__) + '/../spec_helper'
include ApplicationHelper
include UsersHelper
include AuthenticatedTestHelper

describe "bidding on an item" do
  controller_name :items

    before(:each) do
      @user = mock_user
      stub!(:current_user).and_return(@user)
    end

  it "should require a credit" do
    @user.stub!(:credits).and_return(0)
    post 'bid', :bid => { :auction_id => 1, :user_id => @user.id, :point
=> 1 }
    assigns[:bid].should_not be_new_record
  end

  it "should be allowed with a credit" do
    @user.stub!(:credits).and_return(1)
    post 'bid', :bid => { :auction_id => 1, :user_id => @user.id, :point
=> 1 }
    assigns[:bid].should be_new_record

=== spec_helper
http://github.com/fudgestudios/bort/tree/master/spec/spec_helper.rb

It's very disheartening to wake for work at 3 a.m. and accomplish
nothing for the day.  Please understand.