[rspec-users] [rails] An authorization question

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 13:38:20 EST 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Chris Flipse <cflipse at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been going back over some legacy code, backfilling tests, and I'm
> encountering something that is causing no small amount of pain.  This is in
> a mature Rails app, that's  lived and migrated from 1.1 through to 2.1, so
> there's a lot of ancient cruft built up in the corners that I've been trying
> to clean up.
>
> My question/pain point revolves around authorization.  In at least two
> different models in the system  -- areas that are core to the functionality
> -- there are models that run through a state transition.  Only certain users
> are allowed to make those transitions, however.  You're basic "only an admin
> can publish an article" kind of restrictions.
>
> These models show up across most of the app -- several different
> controllers.  As such, long, long ago, someone patched updated the site
> authentication code to assign a User.current singleton inside the
> login_required filter.

Unless I'm missing something, this seems like the problem is wider
than testability.

Let's say I log in. Right now I am User.current. Now you log in, and
become User.current. Now I got to view some resource that I am not
permitted to see, but I get to see it because you are permitted and
YOU are the User.current.

Am I missing something?