[rspec-users] Run cucumber on a different DB than test?

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Fri Feb 27 11:41:53 EST 2009

On 26 Feb 2009, at 18:27, Scott Taylor wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2009, at 1:19 PM, Forrest Chang wrote:
>> Hi all:
>> Is it possible to run Rails Cucumber spec in a different DB than
>> the test DB?  I'd like to run the rspec and cucumber tests in
>> parallel in my cc.rb build, and as it is now, I get MYSQL deadlocks
>> on occasion.  I could serialize them, but I'd like the quicker
>> feedback of running them in parallel.
> Why not create a new environment, and set RAILS_ENV="test_cucumber" ?
> Scott

We do this, and it's entirely possible, in fact I highly recommend it.
We call our environment 'features'

One gotcha is that rspec-rails and a certain file in rails[1] (which
cucumber requires into Cucumber::Rails::World) will stomp all over
your RAILS_ENV and set it back to 'test', which means that if you do
(and you really shouldn't) have any code that depends on this being
set correctly, it will break.

I think rspec-rails is now fixed, though you might need to use David's
latest version from github.

Please let me know how you get on running them in parallel for CI, as
I'd also like to do this. At the moment we just use the two
environments for faster feedback when we're regressions testing
locally. How are you thinking about collecting the results, for
example? Piping them to separate files?

Matt Wynne