[rspec-users] [cucumber] Cucumber and CI

Stephen Eley sfeley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 11:14:23 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Rob Holland <rob.holland at gmail.com> wrote:
> I find pushing last thing at night even more bizarre to be honest :/
> If you're are going home, it seems reasonable that other people might
> be, ergo there won't be many more changes made (an assumption
> granted). Also, if they are going to continue to work and make
> changes, why force them to merge a
> broken/half-done/possibly-to-be-completely-redone later commit. Makes
> no sense to me :/

I think that's because you're assuming that there's just one active
thread of code.  If you're not pushing to the *integration* branch,
you're not forcing anyone to do anything.  You can push your own
in-progress development branch to the server (in SVN, in Git, in
anything that supports branches at all) just to have it someplace
other than your own machine, and that imposes no cost on anyone else.

I do it all the time just to be paranoid.  "My laptop might get
stolen" is a perfectly sensible reason to take three seconds before
closing the lid.  Or "My place might burn down," or "I might get hit
by that bus I was waiting for," or "I might have an epiphany and quit
my job tomorrow morning to become a chess grandmaster," or even just
"I wonder if my manager would like to look at my functional and
elegant code."  (In some places it might even be "I'd better prove to
my manager that I did something today.")

In any case: pushing to the team's main VCS repository may be a
necessary step for integration, but it doesn't mean every push has to
trigger an integration.  Not if you've created a consistent and
well-understood culture of branching.

Have Fun,
   Steve Eley (sfeley at gmail.com)