[rspec-users] [cucumber] Cucumber and CI

Raimond Garcia lists at ruby-forum.com
Tue Feb 24 07:56:06 EST 2009

>David Chelimsky
>That may be so, but one view of agile is that each iteration is a
>mini-waterfall. BDD suggests that we *should* define all of the
>scenarios in the iteration planning meeting because we use them as a
>planning tool (how can we estimate a feature at all before we've
>talked about the acceptance criteria?).

>Pat MAddox
>I don't know that it's bad.  At the beginning of an iteration, I have
>most of the features & scenarios that I'll be working on.  So I start
>off with a big pile of yellows, and as the iteration moves on it
>gradually turns green.  I'd say we average 8-10 pending features at
>the beginning of each iteration maybe.

I really of like this approach of mini-waterfalls, treating them as
short 1-2 week iterations,
writing only the stories for the upcoming iteration, estimating them and
organizing them by priorities.
Pivotal does a much better job than myself of telling us what we can do
depending on our previous velocity.

Regarding commits, the approach I've enjoyed the most, was whilst pair
programming.
One of us would make the first step go from pending to passing, and make
the next
step fail.  At that point we committed to a branch.  The other
programmer,
then pulled from that branch, and followed the same process of
implementing the code
to make the failing step pass, write the definition of the next step so
that it failed and
committed to the branch.

We had to work remotely, so every time we committed to the branch we
also,
disconnected from VNC and connected to the other persons machine.
That way when it was your turn to type you would feel more comfortable
in your
machine whilst the other person is just observing and discussing whilst
connected to your machine.

Usually once we got a single scenario working we would rebase with
master
and push to the integration server.  All other scenarios in that feature
were left pending,
to minimize the chances of breaking the build.

I guess this same process can be applied individually, even though,
its hard to keep the discipline, I usually just keep going without
committing until the
whole scenario is passing, and its never as much fun as working with
someone.

Cheers,

Rai