[rspec-users] [cucumber] Cucumber and CI

Andrew Premdas apremdas at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 20:45:45 EST 2009

Comment inline

2009/2/23 Mark Wilden <mark at mwilden.com>

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 6:56 AM, Andrew Premdas <apremdas at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I'd question the wisdom of checking into an integration server every
> couple
> > of minutes.
>
> Our mantra is ABC: Always Be Committing. So we commit anytime we feel
> like it, as long as it doesn't break the build. This makes life a lot
> easier when there is merging to do.

There can be a difference between committing and integrating now we have
distributed vcs.

> > I'm not sure if you meant that but if you did then I think these
> > sort of checkins have to be in bigger chunks. The reason is that each
> > checkin to an intergration server is asking my colleagues to checkout my
> > code and integrate it into their current work.
>
> Just because I push doesn't mean my coworkers have to pull.

Yes it does, surely you can't be saying you can commit to an integration
server without pulling the code from it first. Git wouldn't let you push to
the integration server if you were behind.

> > IMO a complete
> > scenario is about the smallest size chunk to integrate with, and a
> complete
> > feature about the largest
>
> A refactoring, a new method (and its tests), a new test, a fixed typo
> - these are all appropriate chunks of code to check in.

Agreed but the context was a BDD workflow

> I think this is far superior to making massive checkins at the end of
> each iteration. We usually fall somewhere in between.

I did say a complete feature was the largest chunk to go to integration, and
for this to be acceptable for me it should be a very small feature. So
neither of these checkins is massive I'd envisage 30mins to 2 hours work
maybe.