[rspec-users] [cucumber] Cucumber and CI

Phlip phlip2005 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 14:59:34 EST 2009

James Byrne wrote:

> Just on a side note,  how many features / stories have people seen on
> their projects and how much of their project was covered by
> features/stories?

My current day job is old-school Rails. Some of the tests - written before I got
here - used a most despicable pattern. Someone would write a test on some
transactions which pushed the DB into state X. Then, when they needed a database
in state X to TDD the next transaction, they would call the old test.

This habit - across dozens of business rules - lead to tower-of-jello test
cases, where any disturbance risks us commenting out the tests, because we can't
figure out how to pass them - even by reverting and trying again!

So, in this degenerate case, we have saturation testing for all the low-level
code methods, but we are missing the high-level view that Cuke ought to be