[rspec-users] Cucumber Feature Scenario critique

James Byrne lists at ruby-forum.com
Mon Feb 23 13:41:31 EST 2009

Stephen Eley wrote:

> ...So that's my reality.  Cucumber for collaboration isn't the value
> for me.  I suspect that there are a *lot* of companies out there with
> one-person IT departments that may fit into my situation, and
> certainly a whole ton of personal projects where there was never any
> money or 'business case' in the first place.  In those cases,
> communicating features to "the customer" is just talking to oneself.
> It may still have value, but it isn't about teamwork.
>
> Anybody else in a situation like this?

In essence that describes my situation.  The difference being that I do
have a user (one) who will sit down and work through a feature (the
first time and then only briefly).  There are others who get to comment,
particularly on issues of nomenclature, but none that have the time and
inclination to make the sort of effort taken for granted in BDD.

I see cucumber as way to document my intentions and use the scenarios as
discussion points with others in my firm.  The great advantage is that I
can then use cucumber to drive what I call testing which, in turn,
drives coding. The resources do not exist to support much more than
that.