[rspec-users] [cucumber] Cucumber and CI

Mark Wilden mark at mwilden.com
Mon Feb 23 10:22:22 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 6:56 AM, Andrew Premdas <apremdas at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd question the wisdom of checking into an integration server every couple
> of minutes.

Our mantra is ABC: Always Be Committing. So we commit anytime we feel
like it, as long as it doesn't break the build. This makes life a lot
easier when there is merging to do.

> I'm not sure if you meant that but if you did then I think these
> sort of checkins have to be in bigger chunks. The reason is that each
> checkin to an intergration server is asking my colleagues to checkout my
> code and integrate it into their current work.

Just because I push doesn't mean my coworkers have to pull.

> IMO a complete
> scenario is about the smallest size chunk to integrate with, and a complete
> feature about the largest

A refactoring, a new method (and its tests), a new test, a fixed typo
- these are all appropriate chunks of code to check in.

I think this is far superior to making massive checkins at the end of
each iteration. We usually fall somewhere in between.

///ark