[rspec-users] [cucumber] Cucumber and CI

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 02:24:10 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 3:36 AM, Phlip <phlip2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yi Wen wrote:
>
>> I totally agree with you on this. I have a feeling a lot of people kind of
>> use cucumber as a sexy way for doing waterfall.
>
> "Storytests" are very well represented in the Agile development community in
> general. Cucumber is a (slam-dunk) reinterpretation of Ward Cunningham's FIT
> concept.
>
> (Naturally, born of Java, FIT had no direct translation to Ruby, and that's
> probably a good thing!)

It actually did. It's just that very few have ever used it:
http://fit.rubyforge.org/

> It's only waterfall if your product-owner writes or commissions _thousands_
> of story tests before doing _any_ of them.
>
> I heavily suspect that the author of a cucumber "feature" can hardly wait to
> see it pass, and I suspect they will refrain from diverting energy to
> writing another one. That is the heart of Agile - the feedback loop.

Well said. That's the feeling I get when I work with this Cucumber.

> So what's the maximum number of cucumber features that anyone has ever seen
> on-deck but not yet passing? That's a bad metric, exactly like excess

Do you mean "on filesystem"? I have used Cucumber on 5-6 projects now,
and I never exceed 1. If there is a bigger backlog "somewhere else"
(pile of cards, word documents...) then I keep them there for as long
as possible.