[rspec-users] [cucumber] Cucumber and CI

Phlip phlip2005 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 21:36:55 EST 2009

Yi Wen wrote:

> I totally agree with you on this. I have a feeling a lot of people kind
> of use cucumber as a sexy way for doing waterfall.

"Storytests" are very well represented in the Agile development community in
general. Cucumber is a (slam-dunk) reinterpretation of Ward Cunningham's FIT

(Naturally, born of Java, FIT had no direct translation to Ruby, and that's
probably a good thing!)

It's only waterfall if your product-owner writes or commissions _thousands_ of
story tests before doing _any_ of them.

I heavily suspect that the author of a cucumber "feature" can hardly wait to see
it pass, and I suspect they will refrain from diverting energy to writing
another one. That is the heart of Agile - the feedback loop.

So what's the maximum number of cucumber features that anyone has ever seen
on-deck but not yet passing? That's a bad metric, exactly like excess inventory
in a warehouse.