[rspec-users] [cucumber] Cucumber and CI

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 16:36:56 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 8:47 PM, Yi Wen <hayafirst at gmail.com> wrote:
> The rhythm for wrking with cucumber advertised by http://cukes.info/ is to
> write tests that fails first, then code that fixes it. Now my question is,
> what is the implication when combine this with Continuous Integration?

* Nobody checks in code with failing tests (cucumber features, rspec
tests, anything else).
* If someone accidentally does, CI will run all tests and tell the team.

> We all know when we do TDD/BDD in unit level, one test can be fixed fairly
> quick in a coupe minutes and we can check in and kick off a build. It is a
> ideal scene for doing CI: frequent checkin and fast feedback on build
> results.
> Cucumber, as far as my understanding goes, works on feature level. It could
> take people days to finish a cucumber feature. In the meantime, the cucumber
> test remains broken. What do we do then? We cannot check in any code because

A feature typically consists of several scenarios. You don't have to
implement all scenarios before you commit. You don't have to write all
scenarios when you start working on a feature. I recommend you never
have more than one yellow scenario at a time.

The same goes for scenarios, which consist of several steps.

I recommend you commit every time you have made a step go from yellow
to green (via red).
This way, many successive commits will gradually build the whole feature.

In my experience, getting a step to go from yellow to green rarely
takes more than an hour (usually less).
Is there anything preventing you from working this way?