[rspec-users] Cucumber Feature Scenario critique

James Byrne lists at ruby-forum.com
Fri Feb 20 23:33:06 EST 2009

Stephen Eley wrote:

> Well...  In my opinion, yes and no.  I personally have my doubts about
> the 'waterfall' chain of serial projects you're talking about here.
> "We will do authorization.  Then we will do admin screens.  Then we
> will..."

Perhaps I expressed myself poorly, or perhaps I am missing something
fundamental in your commentary.  I did not mean to imply that an
authorization system had to be "finished", and then record maintenance
system "done", before getting into the interesting bits.  I only meant
that having tried to start in the middle, with the interesting bits
insofar as the client is concerned, I quickly discovered that some
minimal provision for authentication and record maintenance seemed a
prerequisite to support work on the middle.

For some reason I seem to have an aversion to using fixtures for this
purpose and prefer some sort of interactive UI, however primitive.  For
instance this is my authorization implementation:

  def authorized?(auth_request={})
    #myrole = auth_request[:role]
    #myctlr = auth_request[:controller]
    #myactn = auth_request[:action]
    return true if self.administrator
    return false
  end

I did not spend very much time or effort on this but it seemed best to
provide the authorization interface when working on user facing
components.  The future elaboration of the authorization system will
nonetheless still present the same interface to the rest of the system,
or so I intend.

What I am grasping at understanding is how elaborate the feature files
should be and how the interrelationship between features are best
managed or expressed.