[rspec-users] validate_presence_of

Yi Wen hayafirst at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 10:41:26 EST 2009

Good point, that's actually I am debating with myself everyday and haven't
got a clear answer. This is classical "calssic unit tester" vs. mockist war.
:)

Talking about this case:

1. I haven't checked how should valite_presence_of is implemented, but it
could pretty much be checking if the value is left blank. So it is behavior
tests

2. I couldn't see any reason why I would want to write my own version of
check_to_see_if_this_thingy_is_in_my_whatsis. So this is not a very
realistic assumption.

3. By checking if validation fails when a value is left blank, I am actually
kind of testing Rails and here's why: what if they introduce a bug in
validates_presence_of that makes my test break? What if they have a bug in
valid? to make my test break? To strictly just testing *my* own code, the
test should be something like
      Person.should_receive(:validates_presence_of).with(:email)

I am not really advocating the view of mockists. Just throw a question here.
:)

Yi