[rspec-users] Cucumber + Webrat + Selenium + ActionMailer

Stephen Eley sfeley at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 23:37:21 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Pat Maddox <pat.maddox at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not commenting on this particular situation, but if I want to use
> some library, but I can't figure out how to write tests for my code
> that uses it, then I don't use it.

I take the opposite view.  My *goal* in coding isn't to write good
tests, it's to solve somebody's problem.  My own or someone else's.
The right tool to help solve the problem is the right tool.  Testing
plays a supporting role, not a decision-making role.

Anyway, there are very few cases where I can't figure out *some*
straightforward way to test a behavior.  The last time it happened,
ironically enough, was when I found a bug in Merb's Autotest hooks for
Rspec.  There was a loop termination issue such that Rspec worked fine
until you tried to run Cucumber right after it with the merb-cucumber
gem.  Writing specs to prove that your specs terminate was...  Well,
after a couple hours I gave up and just submitted a patch with "I know
this is the wrong way to do things, but here.  My head hurts."

--
Have Fun,
   Steve Eley (sfeley at gmail.com)